What is fluency? With our Dibels testing township wide, this is often a word heard in the classroom.
According the National Reading Panel (2000), fluency is the ability to read text with speed, accuracy and proper expression. Fluent readers:
- Recognize words automatically
- Read aloud effortlessly and with expression
- Do not have to concentrate on decoding
- Can focus on comprehension
Why choose poetry?
- Shorter than a full length story
- Often times contains rhyme and rhythm
- Has short and longer phrases to practice reading together
- Contains strong emotions (happy, sad, silly, angry, etc.)
Fun Poetry Websites